Provided you look after them, teeth and gums will look good and stay healthy for life.
Important Dental Considerations:
- Cavities/tooth decay - No matter how old you are, your natural teeth can still get cavities. Improper cleaning and gum disease leads to decay. In addition to brushing, using fluoride gel, mouth wash, and toothpaste will help protect your teeth from decay.
- Gum disease - Infections that harm your gums and the bone that holds your teeth in place are called gum disease. The medical name is periodontal or gingival disease. If your gums are swollen and bleed easily, you may have a condition called gingivitis. Infections, if they aren't treated, will cause your teeth to loosen and fall out.
- Dentures (false teeth) - As we age, our mouth changes in shape, and dentures need to be adjusted or replaced. Partial or full dentures require the same careful cleaning as your natural teeth.
- Dental implants - Dental implants are small metal supports that are surgically placed into the jaw to securely hold false teeth or (partial) dentures. Only a dentist can determine if you should have dental implants.
- Dry mouth - Certain medical conditions or treatments (such as radiation therapy) as well as side effects from prescription drugs can cause dry mouth which makes it difficult to eat, swallow, and speak.
Useful tips and advice
- Brushing - Brush your teeth twice a day (with a fluoride toothpaste).
- Flossing - Floss once a day.
- Tooth Mousse - Use Tooth Mousse after brushing and flossing for long term protection. Apply a pea sized amount with your finger around the outer surfaces of all the teeth. It can be left in place to dissolve slowly during the night.
- Visiting your Dentist - Make regular visits to your dentist for a checkup and cleaning.
- A healthy diet - Eat a well-balanced diet.
- Drink water - Hydrate with plenty of water.
- Smoking - Don’t use tobacco products.
- Alcohol consumption - If you drink alcohol, do so in moderation.
- Protection from the sun - Use lip cream with sunscreen when you're outdoors.